Tuesday 23 April 2013

Cupboard love 3 This time it's pasta! (in 3D)

You may by now have noticed a couple of things with this series of blogs, one I like to blog with some intent to inspire (but hopefully not preach) and the other is the rather film-like titles I have given them.

To say I'm a film buff would be a bit much, but they are (at times) a big part of my life and can add a bit of fun to life.  But I can't say that I am a true film buff.  I write like this as I want people to enjoy cooking and have something of a message to give, but also to keep things light hearted :)

So we come to the end of the series, with all things padding being at the heart of it.  Now before I post the next picture I must warn you - it is the worse looking of all the cupboards.  Ready.... get ya 3D specs on.....




Oh the humanity.... how on earth can I find anything in that mess? -  For the most I do have to lug everything out to find anything.  In fact I ended up buy more cous cous than I needed because I couldn't find any in there.

I would normally post a slightly close up version on there too, but you know what... I'm a little embarrassed to do so.  While I hope you get something out of this, please don't let things get this messy... please.

Trust me when I say there are several types of pasta, rice and other grains.  Along with some noodles I think.  The second and third shelves are for baking items.  There is also coffee in there too, again we go for beans that we grind ourselves.  I don't mind instant ... humm I feel a comparison coming on ;)

So what would I suggest for the new cook?

Some form of tubed pasta for meaty/veggy sauces penne is a classic.
Some long pasta, spaghetti, linguine or tagliatelle - for sauces like pesto or carbonara.
An easy cook and a basmati rice will cover you for most events - although you will find the most styles you cook the more that will grow.
Also something like cous cous - not a grain, nor anything really natural, it cooks in less than 10 minutes, a quick fry off in oil, add lemon, chili and some concentrated stock and you are away!
Other grains to look out for are pearl barley or the likes.  Takes longer to cook, but are packed full of goodies and can pad out soups a treat.
There are lentils too, I have an issue with them as I find them too floury in texture.  But they are a must for anyone who is strapped for cash as they are cheap, and full of protein.  They take flavours well, and I should really learn to love them.  But it's the texture....

Any of these cooked in quantity with some herbie oil and mushrooms and you have yourself a decent cheap set of lunches for the week.

Can't be bothered to do much for dinner?  Cook rice, warm up oil with chili and garlic, add salt and pepper to taste - done in less than 20 minutes.

As for the next two shelves, I have all but jam sugar in there, plain flour, bicarbonate of soda, cream of tartar and baking powder.  Vanilla extract (a good but expensive), coco and a few other bits and pieces for baking.

I love a bit of baking and will always have flour and sugar in the house/flat.  A good way to tell if your flour is old, gently bang the bag on the surface, or gently squeezing the bag.  If it smells dusty then it is old and shouldn't be used for cooking, the cakes won't be nice and you will struggle to make decent pastry.

You can even make your own vanilla extract, brandy and old vanilla pods.  Yep that's it!  Place your used vanilla pods in a jar with some bandy, once it changes colour to a dark brown you are ready to go :)


I hope these Cupboard love blogs have given you an insight into what I have in my flat, and if you are new to cooking what sorts of things are useful for your cupboard/s.

Cooking doesn't have to be expensive, but it should always be fun and inventive.



<script type="text/javascript">

  var _gaq = _gaq || [];
  _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-40383525-1']);
  _gaq.push(['_setDomainName', 'comparethemeatnveg.blogspot.com']);
  _gaq.push(['_setAllowLinker', true]);
  _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);

  (function() {
    var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true;
    ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js';
    var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s);
  })();

</script>

No comments:

Post a Comment